Well we’ve made it back to the UK after the most amazing 17 months of our lives. After a busy couple of weeks of moving all of our belongings out of storage, making our house feel like a home again and catching up with loved ones, we are starting to slow down and reality is sinking in. It will be testing and no doubt a challenge to settle back into one place but we’re ready for it and are currently walking the fine line between excitement and and feeling anxious.

Over the past month or so we’ve also been discussing what to do with the blog. Something that started as a way of keeping in touch with friends and family has grown into something much, much more. It’s allowed us to have an incredible record of our travels, chat to readers all over the world and most importantly, has introduced us to some fantastic fellow travellers that have grown to become friends. We’ve surprised ourselves at how much we’ve enjoyed maintaining the site and how we’ve actually stuck at it throughout the whole trip.

Our amazing plan of winning big in Vegas resulted in this cracking result!

Our amazing plan of winning big in Vegas resulted in this cracking payout!

So what happens post-RTW? Well we’ve decided after some deliberation to keep on writing. As we’ve always had a return date I’ve been constantly interested to read how other travellers adjust to returning home. When I’ve been regularly reading about someone’s life of travel the interest doesn’t stop just because they’ve headed home and I’m hoping that a few people will feel the same way about us. We still have an awful lot of stories to tell from our travel adventures and we’re also going to document what the re-entry process is like for us, hunting for jobs and carving a new life for ourselves. The plan at the moment is to switch to regularly posting once or twice a week and see how we get on.

Paul's favourite corned beef pie baked by our friend's lovely Mum to welcome us home, thanks Jen!

Paul’s favourite corned beef pie baked by our friend’s lovely Mum to welcome us home, thanks Jen!

We’re also not in the slightest bit done with travel! I am however having to eat my own words as when we started travelling I declared that I’d happily live out of a suitcase for the rest of my life, now not so much! We want to have a base and travel at the same time, for us the most logical solution to this is working a full time job and really learning to manipulate and make the most of annual leave and public holidays. We want to make some fundamental changes to what our lives were like before which should hopefully provide us with lots of writing material. The blog moving forward will be more focused on how you can still have an exciting and adventurous life while working a 9-5.

Does it get any better than this? The beautiful Aurora Borealis

A little hint at where our next big international adventure will be

We’re already planning a couple of international trips for next year and we’re also determined to explore what’s on our doorstep. One thing we realised after spending extended time in huge countries like Canada, the USA and Australia is that we are extremely lucky to be able to hop into a large number of countries within hours. There is so much of Europe and even the UK that we haven’t seen and we’re committed to using as many weekends as possible to explore and write about what we see. We hope you’ll stick along for the ride to find out what life after long term travel brings.

If you liked this post please let us know by clicking on the little heart. It would also be great to hear what you think in the comments below.

28 Responses

1. Kim

Yay! I’m so glad that you’ll continue to write. I know I won’t travel forever and have also wondered what shape my blog will take when I have a home again. But I agree that, as a reader, I’m more interested in YOU and how you see the world, no matter where you are. I hope you’re settling in as best you can.
    Kim recently posted..These days in Southern SpainMy Profile

• Maddie

Ah Kim, thank you 🙂 It’s funny that you meet these wonderful people online and then as soon as their trip ends you stop hearing about what’s going on in their lives, hopefully we’ll still have plenty of exciting stories to share.

• Maddie

We still have a lot of stories to share and plenty of adventures to look forward to but I can’t deny that I’m super excited to read about yours. You’re in the most exciting times of your lives right now and I’m so glad we get to be a part of that from afar 🙂

• Maddie

Thanks Constance, as soon as we get settled into employment those weekends we get are going to take a hammering!

• Maddie

Thanks Liv 🙂 I think I’m already realising how much of a challenge it’s going to be. In some ways the hardest part is feeling like nothing at all has changed at home, we need to really make an effort to make those changes we need.

2. Sarah Somewhere

So great to hear from you and I will definitely be following along for this next phase of your lives! You are so right – you live in a country that is so conveniently located to so many wonderful destinations which will provide you with a great balance between work and play! P.S That pie looks So. Good.
    Sarah Somewhere recently posted..Coming alive to celebrate the dead in OaxacaMy Profile

• Maddie

The pie was outrageously good!! Spending time with a lot of you Aussies has really made me realise how great Europe is. I plan to be constantly scouring the web for cheap flights to make the most of it 🙂

3. Tamara (@Turtlestravel)

We look forward to continue following your adventures! The re-entry/reassimilation process is a tough one in many ways, but it’s also another opportunity for further learning and growth. And that’s a good thing, right? We’re on a “home-ish” phase now, in that we’re in the US, though we travel for work as well. PS Can we follow you to the Northern Lights?
    Tamara (@Turtlestravel) recently posted..A Hospital for TurtlesMy Profile

• Maddie

Thanks Tamara 🙂 I think it will be a tough challenge but like you say, if it gives us the opportunity of growth and change then in the long term it will be a good thing. You are more than welcome to follow us to the Northern Lights, a giant hint is that we might be seeing them in your fair country 😉

4. The GypsyNesters

We have been traveling full time for 5 years now, Didn’t really start as a plan to do that but we just kept going. Your mixed feelings upon returning home make me wonder how we will adjust when we finally decide to settle back down somewhere. For now, we have no idea where that would be or when so we will keep looking over the horizon, over the next hill. Happy and safe travels to you.
    The GypsyNesters recently posted..When Hurricanes BlowMy Profile

• Maddie

5 years is seriously impressive! It’s difficult for me as I didn’t want to keep travelling full time but I am finding the adjustment to home fairly difficult. For us, it’s important to still have a list of dreams and plans so we can still see where we are headed. We have to find a happy balance between home and exploration. Keep enjoying your adventure 🙂

5. Steph (@ 20 Years Hence)

Yay! The only way I’d be truly sad about your adventures coming to an end is if they also marked the death of this site. I completely agree with you that it’s hard when you meet people through blogs (and even when you haven’t but feel like you have!) and then they stop updating and it feels like you’ve lost a friend. And just because you’re no longer traveling full-time that doesn’t really mean that the adventure is over—you will still travel in short bursts and around your own country AND you’re right that this next phase is just as important when it comes to your journey. Truly, the adventure isn’t done, it’s just taking a new form. I’m so excited to hear about what’s to come! You’ve so many possibilities laid out ahead of you and I can’t wait to see which paths you take.
    Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted..Five Days in MelakaMy Profile

• Maddie

I really hope a lot of adventure is still to come, so many decisions… You’ve just described exactly how I feel when blogs disappear, I think people from all stages of RTW trips are looking to hear someone else is in their position. I know I am now that I’m back home! Glad you will be sticking around 🙂

6. Carmel

Hooray!!! Yeah, keep blogging. I will definitely be interested in seeing how you’re adjusting since we will be following suit in less than a year. Then we can also do a crossover blog post when we inevitably come visit. 🙂
    Carmel recently posted..SNAPSHOTS OF EL NIDOMy Profile

7. Charlie

Great to hear you’ve decided to continue blogging. And I’m definitely interested in reading how you adjust to British life again, as even though, like you were at the start of your travels, I feel I could travel for ever right now, I’m sure we’ll want to settle somewhere, constant travel would be exhausting! Looking forward to reading about the future travels too!
    Charlie recently posted..Au revoir, Montreal! Old Place, New PossibilitiesMy Profile

• Maddie

Thanks Charlie 🙂 I’m loving reading about your preparations for travel, it’s great to follow someone’s journey from start to finish.

8. Monica

I couldn’t agree more. You can definitely have a fun, action packed travel filled life with a 9-5 job. I sometimes think that it helps you appreciate travel even more when you’ve had to save and wait for it. I look forward to reading about how you settled into life back in the UK 🙂
    Monica recently posted..Win flights to anywhere in EuropeMy Profile

• Maddie

As much as I loved long term travel I’m already enjoying the excitement you feel when planning shorter trips. I think I was starting to take it for granted and having holidays again will really make me appreciate the time we have now.

9. Amy

I will be very interested to read more about how you adjust to life in the UK and settle back into work while continuing to incorporate travel into your lives, as I’m sure this is a process I will have to go through in the future. Good luck with everything!
    Amy recently posted..Does Travel Ruin your Future Prospects?My Profile

• Maddie

Thanks Amy, it’s challenging but so far we are enjoying being back in the UK. That may change when we get back to work but I’m loving the run-up to Christmas this year. It just wasn’t the same for me in Oz last year.